This beautiful instrument, built in 1610, was created by three local artists, Jehan Ravary, Jehan Roy and Jehan Sourt. The immense wooden frame and cabinetry of the organ are remarkable.
At the top of the organ housing, the angel of last judgement blows on his trumpet. St Peter and St Paul are at his side, recognizable by their key and sword. At their feet, sculpted in bas-relief, are three coats of arms. On the left, the arms of the Clermont-Tonnerre family are composed of two keys on a chain. In the center, three fleurs-de-lys indicate the coat of arms of the King of France. On the right is the figure of the eagle of Paul V Borghèse, Pope from 1605 to 1621
Below them are six dates inscribed on plaques that recapitulate the main stages in the life of the instrument: fabrication, restoration, and relocation. The organ is supported by two fluted pillars reinforced by curious-looking Caryatids. These figures are composed of a man’s head with a mustache on the body of a winged woman with the lashing tail of a lion and clawed feet.
Situated originally near the transept, the organ was moved in 1847 to the back of the nave, facing the main altar. In this position, its blocks the traces of the 12th century Romanesque entrance embedded in the west wall.
Présentation et Historique de Tonnerre
Tonnerre apparaît à l’époque romaine sous le nom de Tornodurum, « forteresse ». Pour les Lingons, elle était le capitale du Pagus tornodorensis. Ici, sur la vallée de l’Armançon, s’est créé le Comté de Tonnerre, qui a servi de point de passage entre Paris et Dijon, à l’époque où le roi de France avait des visées sur le duché de Bourgogne. [lire la suite]